How to Turn Book Highlights into Content
For years, I added highlights in books.
Then, I forgot about them — a wasted return on my time.
I never retained much of the information from books.
Again not much of a return.
Why was I highlighting content in books?
- Answered questions have
- Related to existing ideas or perspectives
- It inspired me to want to create something
- I was finding answers to my questions.
I needed a process to create content from those answers.
The HQ&A method
Jamie Mills created the HQ&A method to help turn highlights and excerpts into your content.
Here’s how it works:
- Highlight: Capture what catches your interest
- Question: What does it ask or answer?
- Answer: Answer in your own words
I view the Question & Answer as an atomic note.
- In my PKM system, I apply a Question tag to find these notes later.
- I add an Unanswered Question tag to incomplete notes.
- It allows me to combine, expand or remix questions & answers.
Stack past efforts on top of one another to create something new.